Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Personal Note About Modesty

The following only addresses females with the vocation of marriage. Rather, females with the possibility that their vocation is marriage.

Now, I am frequently in traddy circles going to trad Masses. I also went to one of the more orthodox Catholic colleges out there. The topic of modesty has come up a lot.

To understand where I am on modesty, you really need to understand what I've seen and where I've come from. Unfortunately, I've swung on both sides of the pendulum and seen the harmful effects on each side as well. I was public schooled and raised a politically correct version of Baptist. My parents are good people, but they believed that it's important to allow your children to experience everything for themselves. They very rarely said anything about my clothing typical for young girls my age (my mom did however, tell me she wouldn't buy me this shirt that showed waaay too much). I didn't wear anything horribly scandalous, but lets just say there are a few pictures of my summer wear in high school that I hope my future children (God willing) never see. The fact is I never intentionally presented myself as an object of lust, but that doesn't mean I wore the best.

Then, I became Catholic. I decided that all of my clothing other than my t-shirts and jeans were to be destroyed and the scraps thrown away. Months later, tired of the t-shirts, I went out with the girls in pursuit of some modest but somewhat stylish clothing. I showed my Catholic boyfriend and he was appalled, claiming that my nice casual shirt (that had a high neckline and covered low enough, too) was immodest because he could see part of my body shape. It was not tight by any means, but because he could tell I was a girl at a glance, he wanted me to return it. Ridiculous. In the end he realized that there was nothing objectively wrong with it and any personal problems he had with it he just had to overcome himself.

Ladies. If your boyfriend/friend/fiance/whatever has a problem because you were something that has no objective or prudential problem to it, that's not your problem. I heard a guy once tell me that he finds it tempting when a girl wears a knee length skirt (*note* as a general rule, avoiding these conversations is a positive thing). Does that mean we should go back to Victorian times? What does objective or prudential problem mean? Continue reading.

So I transferred to my Catholic college where during the spring, most women wear skirts at least sometimes. There were very few times in my five years there that I saw any huge problem with clothing. I can think of three right now. Blissful paradise when it comes to clothing, right? NO! People there are OBSESSED with making sure people follow the "spirit of the university clothing policy." One friend wore a fishnet poncho over a cami (a tank top with thin, often adjustable, straps). She was RAILED. Yes, I'll agree that she shouldn't have worn something that showed a (a little of her) bra strap on campus, but she would have gotten the same response for wearing anything but a full t-shirt underneath. But the fact is if she wore that outside our campus, no one would have noticed except to say, "Oh, hey, that's a cute poncho..." or "that girl's got a fun style." Another example: a girl was told she was not allowed to wear footie pajamas (one piece pajamas that literally cover everything except hands and neck-up) in the common areas because "guys might think she's naked underneath her clothes."

After 3 years of being Catholic, my spiritual life went into a bit of a lull for a bit. It was after this that I discovered the Latin Mass. It changed my life and, similar to my conversion experience, I wanted to purge all the evil from my life once more. I had always loved wearing long skirts, but I started wearing them on principle. I ransacked thrift stores for their longest, in some cases ugliest, skirts that my short frame could stand. I'm not going to lie, I think I managed to make some of those skirts work a lot better than most. I noticed that if you fair a "grandmother" skirt with a cute top... you can make it work. I claimed that my increase in wardrobe was a dedication to simplicity. I painfully got rid of my ridiculously cute denim jacket that I had searched for literally a year to find. I got rid of my jeans because they didn't fit and were developing holes. I didn't replace them because (just like every other girl I know) it's hard to find jeans that fit well. After a while, though, I stopped wearing pants altogether. I then started to obsess about the length of my skirts. I am quite vertically challenged so I have to be more careful than some and basically find that going just above the knee is my limit for modesty (I have a tall friend who can wear a skirt that's 5 inches above her knee and still look completely modest! **jealousy**). Note how modesty has some subjective standards.

My wardrobe consisted of around 35 different skirts. These were flowy skirts, pencil skirts (only long), a-line skirts, you name it, I probably had it. I started giving away tops that were "too tight" on me (closer and closer to the standards I corrected in my former boyfriend years before). I started getting rid of my knee length and A-line (usually right at the knee) for modesty reasons. I remember one time I almost got rid of a favorite skirt of mine because it was flowy and if I spun around it went above my knees. I realized at that point that this was starting to get ridiculous. I honestly believed, though, that I was doing this for the sake of God and modesty, so I couldn't stop.

Then, I really don't know what spurred this, James and I (just friends then) began discussing how ridiculous trad Catholics can be in their standards for "modesty." He told me that on one pilgrimage someone pointed out the only girl wearing jeans and said, "You can tell she hasn't been one of us for very long" referring specifically to the jeans. He pointed out how standards of modesty really depend on your geographical location. Example: Africa. It is not considered immodest for women to go around wearing nothing but a small sash around their waist. It's just what people are used to. Even in this country, I think most devout Catholics living in Texas would agree that a tank top (that's high enough up top and low enough on the bottom) would be completely modest! These conversations took a few weeks to sink in, but I finally realized that it is acceptable for me to embrace some sense of style as a devout, practicing, even traditional Catholic! I now feel comfortable presenting myself as a stylish and still modest individual.

There are a few distinctions that need to be made:
1. Just because something is modest does not mean it's appropriate for Sunday Mass of Holy Days of Obligation. Example: those nice and modest tank tops I mentioned earlier. Wearing these to Sunday Mass  of HDOs would or at least should be considered disrespectful, even considering today's standards (using a cami as an undershirt is fine, though). Case in point: Men's shorts. I have never heard of a complaint about immodesty in men's shorts (though it wouldn't surprise me to hear of one). They are never appropriate for Sunday Mass or HDOs. (note the distinction between Sunday Mass and Daily Mass... I basically think that if it's alright to wear it to the grocery store, it should most likely be decent enough for Daily Mass. If not, the restrictions are definitely lighter than Sunday Mass).

2. Attractive does not mean sexual. I can dress to look like a woman. I can be stylish, I can look appealing to a man in a non-sexual way. If I am wearing something that covers what needs to be covered and is not obviously too tight, I should not fear it being immodest. No matter how stylish.

3. Immodest is different than imprudent. Immodest means something objectively wrong to wear. Imprudent means that it's likely to cause problems for those who struggle with temptation. There is room for leeway with some imprudent outfits, but there is never any excuse for immodest.

4. What we teach our little boys are immodest are going to be understood as immodest to them. What I mean is if I were to teach my sons that bare shoulders are sexual and not to look at them, then their minds are going to gravitate to sexual things if they see a woman with bare shoulders (which are everywhere). If we teach boys that ankles are sexual, they are going to think that ankles are sexual. If we teach them that you shouldn't look at a woman's left pinkie finger because it's sexual then he's going to think a woman's left pinkie finger is sexual. Consider Muslim countries. They teach men that everything about women is sexual. Women have to wear burkas which cover everything except a small slit for the eyes. I hear people are trying to pass legislation that only one eye can be uncovered, because it is too sexual to show both eyes.

A few suggested guidelines for girls:
1. Avoid midriffs like the plague. The plague is bad... very bad. I've never known a guy to not have a problem with midriffs. However, this would be considered imprudent rather than immodest. However, even slight midriffs can be very, very imprudent depending on the circumstances.

2. Bare shoulders, tank tops, tube tops (with no bare midriff) should be fine as long as there is no cleavage or bra straps showing. (**note** those "invisible" bra straps are made of such shiny plastic that you're not fooling anyone**)

3. Shorts and skirts should be considered carefully. Find the shortest length that flatters your body shape but doesn't show too much and commit to never going shorter. If you are growing, keep in mind your changing shape.

4. If you feel circulation rushing into your legs when you take off a pair of jeans, they're too tight. Other than that, I can't think of any concrete regulations. Find standards that you are comfortable with wearing, and you're comfortable with other people seeing you in.

5. It is generally accepted among Catholics that cleavage should be avoided. When it's very slight it can be a prudence issue. When it's anythign more than very slight, it's a modesty issue. Keep in mind that guys taller than you can see more than you think they can.

A very broad general guideline is that if the outfit makes the average American go "woooahhh..." (not in a good way) then it's a bad thing.

Advice to parents:
(I'm not counselor, I have no kids, but these seem at least like good ideas, and I am a daughter)

1. Heavily guard against immodesty, but be cautious about correcting imprudence. Pick your battles with imprudence because if you push your authority too hard, it's likely that she'll not take your authority seriously.

2. Be careful to not put your personal preferences as guidelines for modesty. If you have a problem with something she wears because of your personal preference, tell her your concerns and only address them as your concerns. If she's wearing something immodest tell her, but be sure to provide a good explanation that it's actually immodest.

3. Don't be afraid to let your daughter look attractive. If her vocation is marriage you want her to attract men. Okay, not when she's 12, but later in life. It's a good sign of her vocation if she wants to be attractive even at 12.

6 comments:

  1. "Another example: a girl was told she was not allowed to wear footie pajamas (one piece pajamas that literally cover everything except hands and neck-up) in the common areas because "guys might think she's naked underneath her clothes." "

    Um...I'm pretty sure we're all naked under our clothes (depending on how you define "clothes," I guess). Unless you have underwear permanently molded to your body like Barbie.

    I'm going to go read the rest of the post now. I just had to comment on that so my head wouldn't explode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with this post. A few points:

    I like the distinctions you make between modesty, prudence, and appropriateness. I think that distinction gets lost a lot for some reason.

    I also like what you say about teaching little boys. Scott and I are kind of trying to figure out how to handle this. I know for me it's really negatively impacted my life to think too much about modesty, and I'm a woman. Constantly looking at other women's necklines is just not something I want to do with my life. But I'm not sure what to tell kids instead of just saying, "Low-cut blouses are immodest."

    Also, I am only just now getting to where I can wear shirts that aren't baggy. (Then I come home and my mom says, "That shirt is too tight." *headdesk* I can still grab a handful of fabric around the chest; I really think that's loose enough.)

    Something that I picked up somewhere: Underwear shouldn't become outerwear. So, no bra straps, but also your clothes shouldn't be so tight or sheer that you can see your underwear or the outlines thereof. I don't know that that's something I'd enforce without exception, but it's something I keep in mind.

    I also love your point about not setting up personal preference as What Is Modest. Like, I personally don't wear sleeveless shirts. (I have bad acne scarring on my shoulders and back. My "modesty" is all about vanity.) But I've gotten away from thinking that it's immodest.

    I've also gotten away from thinking pants are of the devil. I just wear skirts because I have a fat butt. :) (Again, ALL about vanity.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel compelled to note a few things.

    1) As a guy who went to the same university, I heard a few conversations about how nice it is that they didn't have another Catholic college's dress code. I had little to no idea that there was all that much peer pressure... I mean, I know everyone expected everyone else to be modest, and I know that (contrary to the impressions of some outside the university) there were occassional arguments that we can afford to cut a little slack compared to how concerned we've been with the exact definition of "modest", but I wouldn't have suspected some of the extremity of obsession that I've since heard about. And, I feel compelled to note... the vast majority of us guys _were never consulted_!

    2) I don't usually mind midriffs, so you can raise your count from zero to more or less one. It depends a little on the figure and how bare it is, but what I'm thinking of specifically is that in swimsuits two-piecers don't bother me because of the midriff, girls' swimsuits bother me because of the legs showing right up to what I shouldn't see, things like that. Pretty much agree on the other standards.

    3) Very good point about objective immodesty vs. imprudence. In fact, without that point you can't make distinctions based on culture without being (Heaven forbid!) Relativist. (I say in a somewhat exagerrated tone because some people think "Relativism" is "the belief that we are not all cookie cutters with no subjective details or prudential variations." They may not care about the distinction between objective immodesty and imprudence, but we should.)

    3B) Also good point that attractiveness isn't, shall we say, sexiness. Women are more beautiful dressed modestly (keep in mind that in marriage there is one change in the definition of "dressed modestly") than dressed immodestly, precisely because they're not sexy where they shouldn't be.

    4) It depends a lot on the age and mindset of the guy in question. I was a lot more sensitive about these things when I was in my teen years, and I'm only twenty-two now.

    5) As a guideline for parents: be very careful about taking your boys to the beach or pool. It sounds cruel and ridiculous, but... you wouldn't let them look at magazines of girls wearing that little, why take them to see such live?

    6) Modesty does run both ways. We can't neglect to try to make things easier for others, but we also can't pretend that responsibility is solely in the hands of the object of lust and there's no choice for a young man to look away.

    6B) Modesty does run both ways... although guys don't seem to have much interest in being immodest in dress, it's still true that we can't just run around in our underwear as if girls don't have feelings at all. Most of our modesty has more to do with behavior -- not leading a woman on in ways other than how we dress.

    7) Honestly... the point of modesty isn't even hiding. Yes, it requires hiding some things, but that's not the point. The point is to help each other love each other purely, whether as brothers and sisters or as husband and wife or potential husband and wife. I don't think enough people get that... but then, you should hear my rant sometime about what people, even people who avoid the errors on both sides of the matter, don't seem to get about sex and/in marriage. Or maybe not, it depends whether it would be imprudent for you. 8^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I thought of yet another point... consider this an addendum to my first: Why is it that the weirdoes get all the attention? Girls in some Catholic circles seem to actually take seriously the one guy in a hundred who thinks the Devil created woman to ruin God's plan for mankind. Why?? Can't everyone just ignore lunatics? We have to all the time on the internet at large, but if the troll claims to be Catholic we divide between giving him more negative attention than he deserves and taking him more seriously than he deserves. A little secret for you: most of us guys struggle with modesty because we see girls wearing next to nothing on the street outside, precisely what we need is to learn to see a woman as a woman without associating her with that, and the vast majority I've known learn to deal with it instead of calling their sisters in Christ prostitutes or something.

    I can never look down on the basic, healthy concern to be modest. I would never say you should go wear whatever you feel like and be darned if the guys find that a little too sexual for their preferense. But some stuff drives me up the wall because it toally just gets in the way of actual modesty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sojourner and Shakespeare,
    thank you guys so much for your comments. They have so many good points, I don't even know where to start.

    Sojourner
    1. Ya, when I heard about the pajama comment this summer, I was taken completely aback. I mean... how does that even make any sense???

    2. I am glad you appreciate my comments, I must admit, many of the completed thoughts are plagiarized from my darling. One thing I've loved about the series of convos we've had about it was once we finished hashing out all these little details, guy-to-girl (remember we were just friends at the time), we stopped. There was no need to talk about modesty anymore. We have only addressed the issue to determine if and what needs to be different now that we're considering marriage together (specifically avoided the term "discerning"). I appreciate that we don't constantly need to talk about it, and I encourage people to do the same hashing out process, then only address it when necessary.

    "Constantly looking at other women's necklines is just not something I want to do with my life." AMEN.

    Shakespeare:
    I TOTALLY appreciate the views of a sane guy! Other than James, I really haven't gotten many guy friend's objective opinions about things (most of the opinions I got were completely subjective but often described as objective).

    1. While you may not have been made aware of specific instances of insanity, were you not aware of the bi-semesterly talks on modesty (often with guy panels talking about their subjective views)? Were you not aware of the signs on dorm hall mirrors stressing the importance of living a modest life? I would not expect you to be aware of the signs posted all over the female dorm bathrooms. But think about it, our campus had at LEAST two talks of some sort a semester (not counting our beloved "crown of creation" retreat, which I've never been to but admittedly heard from decent sources that it's quite good to do once). This topic is addressed formally (IMHO) more than men and pornography at our University. Do you honestly think we're not obsessive?

    2. That's a good point. I was more referring to daily wear than swimsuits, but I'd imagine those could be a bit distracting. Perhaps the guys I've known are just more into waists (from what I understand, each guy has his own separate focal point for distractions), but that's good for me to be reminded that it's not an objective standard. Also, I've known it to be more of a concern in daily life when a shirt will ride up because it's the idea of it being covered, then not, or skin only peeking out a little bit, that really has caused the concern for people I know.

    3B. Very refreshing to hear that someone else (from my university especially!) knows about how modesty changes when you're married!

    4. I would say that depends on the guy/their upbringing, but good point. I've the understanding that with the right training you can grow out of it to a certain extent, and with the wrong training you can grow into it.

    5/6B. I've heard of girls having problems going to pools/beaches for the very same problem.

    Addendum: that point goes along with my point I mentioned earlier to the Sojourner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't doubt that it's obsessive... I guess it just doesn't seem all that simple such that the wild stories one hears from time to time make much sense on the whole. There were posters and talks about all sorts of Catholic things (with the most sensitive, of course, somewhat less overt, more one-to-one and private; most of the guy sins tended to fall under those headings, I guess), so at the time I just was glad that a community was actually interested in encouraging each other to live the Faith. Thinking back on it, I suppose the guys who were concerned with the matter would be more inclined to share their feelings than the rest. And how concerned we could be depends where we're at personally. I just have a hard time thinking that the majority would have approved of a ban on footie pajamas in common rooms. Myself, I was more focused on my end of modesty, not policing your end to see if everyone holds up. The way girls dress at the college in question does help -- but to be honest, it saddens me to think that some, let alone many, could do so out of peer pressure. It's still not the right reason, any more than going around scantily clad because guys out in the world pay little attention to you otherwise. Encouraging one another to live the Faith shouldn't mean discouraging those who've fallen in their struggles -- in fact, ours being Faith in Redemption through Christ's Passion and Death, it can only be just the opposite. Similarly, fighting error (such as hedonism -- or puritanism) itself becomes an error, not intellectual but moral, if we neglect the Truth. And the Truth is real Love, self-giving Love that says that a person, a whole person, body, soul and spirit, is good, whether as a brother or sister or as a spouse. We're not called to fear of being too like the world's vices -- for vices are just some piece of goodness torn asunder from the whole. We're called to be unafraid to follow Christ, Who gave up His life to restore what was good in ours and make us whole. That is what we must stand for, and it is far more important than what we stand against, true as it is that some things are against it.

    ReplyDelete