Sunday, September 18, 2011

A few belated thoughts on September 11

I realize this is a week late, but I didn't quite know how to say all this before.

I am pleased that on September 11th, I could go to Mass and hear a beautiful homily... having nothing to do with the tragedy associated with ten years ago. Don't get me wrong. It was a HUGE deal in America, it should be mentioned in our history classes, our memoirs, ect. In America it shouldn't be forgotten, just like the attack on Pearl Harbor, we should teach our children that these are things that happened and we responded to them... not always in the best way. HOWEVER, the Church is bigger than America. The Church extends throughout the entire world where larger casualties have happened through natural disasters and human cruelty. Ten years ago, thousands of people lost their lives. Hundreds,if not more, probably did something heroic, something amazing. We will never know all the stories of heroism that day.

However, the Church exists because around 2000 years ago, one man did something heroic... and it's worth more than all other stories of heroism combined. One man lost his life, and it was more tragic than September 11th times one billion. The people in Pennsylvania risked their lives to save hundreds or thousands of people, including my mother (more on that later). But the fact of the matter is, when Our Lord and Savior sacrificed himself, which is what we have the mandate to CELEBRATE every Sunday at Liturgy, he gave all of us the opportunity to be saved. Everyone's mother, father, friend, second-cousin's-nephew, everyone is given the opportunity to accept salvation. THAT is what's important on this and every anniversary of 9/11 and every day.

Please note, I don't mind priests mentioning the effects of this day in their homilies, just like I don't mind them saying "I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving" as long as it's not considered the central aspect of the Liturgy. I am pleased that it wasn't addressed, because it didn't need to be, If the priest briefly mentioned it, I would be just as pleased that it wasn't elevated to more than it is.


Personal reflections on September 11th
Because this is a private blog about my life, I consider it entirely appropriate that I write about it here. I was living in Northern Virginia about 30 minutes from DC when the attacks happened. My mother worked right across the street from the Capitol.

Ten years ago I was in high school. I remember waking up around 6:00 am and I felt truly awful. I wasn't sure whether I would go to school or not. I decided to myself, "No, Jane, you're going to have a good day today if you have to force yourself through it!" I remember that I was about to basically have a free period and I decided that I would read the book of Philippians. I was Protestant back then, fyi, and in a public high school. I remember a woman coming in and telling the teacher to turn on the news, something dreadful had happened. When I first saw the smoke coming out of the building, I wondered what all the fuss was about... buildings get bombed all around the world all the time.

Then I read the highlight underneath, "New York City Attacked" or something like that. It hit me... that was us. I stopped reading my Bible and decided to pray. One of my classmates thought I was crying. I remember it was sometime shortly before 9 o'clock. As we kept watching, as all of us were glued to the TV by then, I heard the commentator mention something else in the sky. I can still hear his voice screaming, "ANOTHER ONE! OH MY *** IT'S ANOTHER ONE!" as the second plane hit the other building of the World Trade Center.

I do not remember if I watched the buildings fall live or if my memories are from the repeated footage that makes my stomach turn to this day. I must have watched that footage over a hundred times that day, and I've refused to watch it again. I think I was in a different classroom that did not have a TV when the towers fell... or the teacher just couldn't take it anymore. I doubt it, though, because all of us were concerned about our loved ones as rumors of numerous airplanes attacking nearby flew like wildfire. I know I was not near a television when the Pentagon was hit. I kept hearing rumors that a plane had hit the Capitol building, but I refused to believe it. My mom worked literally across the street from the Capitol  in the Longworth building (which I only remembered because her face lit up when she showed us the view directly of the Capitol from her boss' office ). I was not going to panic about my mother until I had a reason to believe it. I tried to stay calm and I'm glad I did. She is still fine to this day.

I figured that I would hear it on the news, or that more people would be screaming and upset (the way the reaction was when the Pentagon was hit). You must understand, most of our parents worked in DC, or at least nearby. Also, a lot of the important buildings in DC are very close together and could get demolished easily by a large plane in one swoop. The Pentagon is actually located in Northern Virginia, with a small field on the side where the plane hit. Want to know the eerie thing? The Pentagon was in the process of major renovation. The wing that had been hit just had that phase completed. The walls were reinforced. Had the plane hit any other wing much more damage would have been done, possibly even most of the building destroyed. As it was, only that one wing was severely damaged, and, I think, the only casualties were from that wing. A friend of mine lost her mother in the Pentagon. She told me that before they contacted her... she just knew that her mother had passed, and she felt at peace about it. I tried to be there for her in times afterward. I invited her over to my house many times. But life goes on and people change. I spoke with her rarely throughout high school and only exchanged one set of messages with her several years ago.

The rest of the day was spent in a haze, as no one could seem to contact their families via cellphones. No one was expected to teach. I was among the few that refused to watch the same footage over and over, but tried to either talk to my friends or read by myself. I honestly do not remember much of that day. As I made fairly clear, I cannot remember much clearly after the second tower was hit.

They had considered closing the schools but it was rightfully deemed better for the children to stay in school for the day. No one took roll or cared if parents picked up their children, but the schools were not likely targets. Also, many parents could not come to get their children because traffic was so bad as everyone was coming home from work early. I think the Metro was completely closed for safety reasons as well. What I do remember was coming  out of the bus. I remember I had a little trouble getting off the bus because my knees were a little sore and I got off rather slowly. My next door neighbor was behind me and almost pushed my off (not literally) and kinda rushed me to hurry up because she wanted to hug her father, who also worked in DC. I completely understood as I ran over to hug my mother.

I don't know about other people, but we didn't have school the next day. We did on Thursday. I still remember the aftermath of this, too. Flags flew from people's cars. Sexually annoying bumper stickers (like "Honk if your...") or even political bumper stickers were replaced by "Honk for America!" Every church bulletin board had Scripture. There was solidarity. I knew it wouldn't last, but it was refreshing for my young eyes to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment