Saturday, September 10, 2011

Job hunting

So for the first time since about March, I am beginning to feel rather hopeful about this job hunt. I've been looking for a job since about January, to basically no avail. I had a part time job at a Catholic bookstore (which I loved, but the commute was awful and I couldn't get full time) then I went back to my college to do some seasonal custodial work. But basically, I have been looking for full time employment since January and haven't found it. The fact that I just moved doesn't help, but I've been looking for jobs in my current location since May.

I've had 3 interviews (all before I officially moved) and I'll be having my fourth on Tuesday. It's for a Catholic Cemetery and I'd basically be a sales rep, but it has a strong taste of social worker to the job as well. I think I'd really like it, mainly because most of the jobs I've had since I've been Catholic have been for Catholic organizations. I also do happen to really enjoy sales work as well as social work.

If THAT doesn't work out, though, I have a few other tricks up my sleeve.
1) I start volunteering at the hospital next week (oh crap, I gotta get that blood test done, shoot!). I started this because I generally like the hospital's reputation, and it'll help me get an in with the hospital, which seems to (as many hospitals) have many open full time positions.

2) I just found this GREAT job as a volunteer coordinator (not a volunteer position) at the local St Vincent De Paul (one of my favorite saints, St Louise de Marillac, the patroness of Social Workers, worked closely with St Vincent). I just love what they do, too, and I think this would be an ideal job for me, I fit the qualifications really well! I've been praying to St Louise and St Vincent to help me find good employment as a social worker, because it is honestly my passion in life (before anyone thinks anything, I will admit that I'm probably one of the strangest "trads" out there. I'm a trad and a social worker!). I worked on my cover letter today and I have to send it in by the deadline on Friday.

3) I have one more trick up my sleeve.  James' mom got into contact with this woman who is starting a day care about half an hour away. She and I have sent several emails back and forth, and I've put myself in a very good (and honest) light. She is concerned about having someone responsible, and let's face it, I'm more responsible than at least 3/5ths of my generation. She is not interviewing until October and the place will not be up and running until November at the earliest, so she said she doesn't mind if I find something else beforehand. I greatly respect the way she describes it, it's not your typical "sit kids in front of the TV all day" day care nonsense. It's stresses learning good behaviors from the beginning. It sounds like something I would enjoy, but be exhausted by... Oh well, I'm still young.

I'll try to keep this updated as far as I know anything. Please keep my job hunt in your prayers to St Joseph, too... because he's particularly awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment